Cork hotshot Killian Carroll is on top of the World tonight after being crowned Men’s Open Singles World Handball Campion at the University of Minnesota today’s when he overcame fellow Irish man Martin Mulkerrins in a trilling final.
The Men’s Senior Singles Final was a match of spectacular kills and unbelievable serving by both players. Mulkerrins started at a frantic pace and led 8 nil before Carroll got off the mark. Mulkerrins extended his lead to 12-4 before Killian got into full flight and brought the score back to 10-12 Points were hard to get at this stage but Mulkerrins extended his lead to 15-12. Carroll got Mulkerrins out with a subline right corner kill before going on a run which included two ace to lead for the first time at 16-15. Killian extended his lead to 19-15 but Martin fought back to trail 16-19. At this point there was a tremendous rally with some astonishing retrieval shots by Carroll before he put Mulkerrins out. The Cork native made no mistake at this point and closed out the game to take the first 21-16.
Once again Mulkerrins started the brightest in game 2 and went into an early 4 nil lead and then extended it to 8-4. Carroll rallied to trail 6-8 but once again Mulkerrins extended his lead to 12-8 before Carroll brought it level at 13 all. The game was finely poised at this stage and they were level again at 14 all & 16 all. Mulkerrins again pushed for home and led 18-16. However, four kills and an ace serve just when they were most needed saw the 24-year-old Cork man close it out on a 21-18 scoreline. Carroll is the first new world champion to be crowned since Paul Brady won his first title of five in 2003.
Meanwhile, in the Ladies Open Singles, Cork's Catriona Casey and Team Ireland’s Martina McMahon will renew rivalries once more, with both players reaching their expected final destination. Casey and McMahon have served up some thrilling battles in recent years and this World Championship final is likely to feature some heated exchanges tomorrow after today’s semi-final wins over Ciana Ni Churraoin and Aisling Reilly. In the Men's Open Doubles final, Team Ireland’s Robbie McCarthy and Diarmuid Nash will take on Marcos Chavez and Sean Lenning (USA).
Day 10 Key Results (4-Wall) – Saturday 18th:
- Mens Open Singles Final: Killian Carroll dft Martin Mulkerrins (Team Ireland) 21-16, 21-18
- Ladies Open Singles SF: Catriona Casey (Cork) dft Ciana Ni Churraoin 21-3, 21-8
- Ladies Open Singles SF: Martina McMahon (Team Ireland) dft Aisling Reilly (Team Ireland) 21-11, 21-15
- Mens Open Doubles SF: Robbie McCarthy/Diarmuid Nash (Team Ireland) dft Amando Ortiz/Vic Perez (USA) 21-10, 21-9
- Mens Open Doubles SF: Marcos Chavez/Sean Lenning (USA) dft Martin Mulkerrins/Killian Carroll 21-13, 17-21, 11-8
- Ladies Open Doubles SF: Martina McMahon/Aisling Reilly (Team Ireland) dft Ciara Mahon/Pauline Gallagher 21-4, 21-8
- Ladies Open Doubles SF: Catriona Casey/Aishling O’Keeffe dft Tracy Davis/Suzanne Entzeroth (USA) 21-4, 21-8
- Boys 19&U Singles QF: Ivan Burgos (Canada) dft Shane Dunne (Team Ireland) 21-4, 13-21, 11-2
- Boys 17&U Singles QF: Eoghan McGinnity (Team Ireland) dft Alegandro Garcia Jr (Mex) 21-2, 21-1
- Boys 17&U Singles SF: Eoghan McGinnity (Team Ireland) dft Daire Keane 21-13, 21-17
- Boys 15&U Singles QF: Josh Kavanagh (Team Ireland) dft Jack Darcy 21-12, 21-1
- Boys 15&U Singles SF: Josh Kavanagh (Team Ireland) dft Rory Grace 21-7, 21-9
- Girls 19&U Singles SF: Megan McCann (Team Ireland) dft Aoife Holden 21-19, 21-4
- Girls 17&U Singles SF: Niamh Heffernan (Team Ireland) dft Belisa Camacho (Canada) 21-1, 21-0
- Girls 15&U Singles SF: Mairead Fox (Team Ireland) dft Chloe Philphott 21-3, 21-6
Day 11 Key Fixtures (4-Wall) – Sunday 19th:
- Ladies Open Singles Final: Catriona Casey (Cork) v Martina McMahon (Team Ireland) @ 10am
- Mens Open Doubles Final: Robbie McCarthy/Diarmuid Nash (Team Ireland) v Marcos Chavez/Sean Lenning (USA) @ 11am
- Ladies Open Doubles Final: Martina McMahon/Aisling Reilly (Team Ireland) v Catriona Casey/Aishling O’Keeffe @ 1pm
- Boys 17&U Singles Final: Eoghan McGinnity (Team Ireland) v Mark Rodgers @ 10am
- Boys 15&U Singles Final: Josh Kavanagh (Team Ireland) v Mikey Kelly @ 8am
- Girls 19&U Singles Final: Megan McCann (Team Ireland) v Sinead Meagher @ 10am
- Girls 17&U Singles Final: Niamh Heffernan (Team Ireland) v Leah Doyle @ 9am
- Girls 15&U Singles Final: Mairead Fox (Team Ireland) v Noelle Dowling @ 9am
Times are Minnesota Local times – Irish time + 6 Hours