GAA Handball is pleased to announce a new player pathway initiative for juvenile players aged U14 - U18 through a National Handball Academy. The aim is to ensure our next generations of players are adequately supported to make the breakthrough into elite senior players nationally & internationally.
- Initially 40x20 only until Academy is established
- Ages U14-U18, Boys & Girls
- 3/4 training days per year
- All aspects of the Academy will be coordinated by National Development Officer Darragh Daly
- Tactics / Nutrition / Fitness / Technical / Tournament Preparation / Recovery
- Small numbers on National Academy Squad to enable increased quality and time with elite Coaches/Tutors
- Participant selection based on player potential and not solely on current playing levels. A scouting committee will select the initial squad.
- Academy will implement an open door policy with players, i.e. players will be released and called up when required. Scouting system will be in place, observing at juvenile seeding tournaments. NDO will oversee scouts and make selection call-ups.
Academy Squad 2020/21:
- Mark Doyle (Taghmon HC, Wexford)
- Billy Drennan (Galmoy HC, Kilkenny)
- Mikey Kelly (Abbeyknockmoy HC, Galway)
- Kyle Jordan (Kilfane HC, Kilkenny)
- Amy Brennan (Clogh HC, Kilkenny)
- Clodagh Munroe (Carrickmore HC, Tyrone)
- Chloe Philpott (Kilkishen HC, Clare)
- Emma Kinane (Abbeyknockmoy HC, Galway)