The John West sponsored national Féile na nGael Handball competition has once again proved to be an exceptional day of Handball as the county’s top young Under 14 Handballers displayed great skills for everyone to enjoy. Thanks to all the clubs who travelled in their droves to all the venues across Cork & Limerick yesterday.
It was one of the largest Handball Féile of all time with 78 teams taking part, almost 400 Boys and Girls involved, and 350 games played in the 4-Wall and 1-Wall grades with team numbers well up on the last few years. Whilst the main aim of this weekend is enjoyment and participation Saturday’s evening finals provided a fitting climax to the day.
Loughmacrory (Tyrone) are celebrating this morning after almost ten hours of play they emerged victorious in the Boys 4-Wall Div. 1 Final in Fermoy. They overcame Kingscourt (Cavan) by the slimmest of margins. In fact, there was very little between all 5 clubs in the division with only a few points separating all the teams. In the final Kingscourt had a commanding lead after the first game but Loughmacrory completed a remarkable comeback to take the title. It was a fitting final between two great teams following a fantastic day of Handball as they won 27-25.
In the Girls 4-Wall Div. 1 Final Lahorna (Tipperary) had a tight two game victory over Kilkishen (Clare) on a final score-line 37-23. This win was partly as a result of the excellent display of the Girls 4-Wall Div. 1 skills winner Hannah Grace who put in a stela performance on the day.
In the 1-Wall Boys Div. 1 competition, this was won by the Clogh Ballacolla (Laois) for the second year in a row as they overcame Oughterard (Galway) 36-11 in the final after an action-packed long day in Conna.
While in the 1-Wall Girls Div. 1 Final Galway’s Oughterard are the champions following an exciting final win against Mayobridge of Down yesterday evening. The girls from the west won out on a 37-23 score-line. Congratulations to all 7 Girls teams that took part in this event.
GAA Handball would like to thank all the Cork and Limerick venues for their hospitality and especially all the volunteers at each venue who ran everything so smoothly on the day.We also thank all the coaches, parents, the National and Local Féile organising committee’s, but most important of all, we would like to congratulate all the players for contributing to such a brilliant day of Handball that will live long in their memories.
4-Wall Boys Finals
- Div. 1: Loughmacrory (Tyrone) dft Kingscourt (Cavan) 27-25
- Div. 1 (Plate): Kells (Kilkenny) dft Abbeyknockmoy (Galway) 32-29
- Div. 2: Windgap (Kilkenny) dft Clogh (Kilkenny) 34-18
- Div. 2 (Plate): Boherbue (Cork) dft Breacach (Tyrone) 31-25
- Div. 3: Moycullen 1 (Galway) dft Friary/Abbeyside/Ballinacourty 1 (Waterford) 34-14
- Div. 3 (Plate): Galmoy (Kilkenny) dft Conna (Cork) 34-28
- Div. 4: Annaghdown (Galway) dft Carrick on Suir (Tipperary) 34-20
- Div. 4 (Plate): St. Joseph’s (Wexford) dft Castlebridge (Wexford) 29-20
- Div. 5: Newmarket on Fergus (Clare) dft Moycullen 2 (Galway) 28-26
- Div. 5 (Plate): Cullohill 1 (Laois) dft Friary/Abbeyside/Ballinacourty 2 (Waterford) 38-29
- Div. 6: O’Loughlin’s (Kilkenny) dft Cullohill 2 (Laois) 42-11
- Div. 6 (Plate): Mullinavat (Kilkenny) dft Templeaudigan (Wexford) 37-29
4-Wall Girls Finals
- Div. 1: Lahorna (Tipperary) dft Kilkishen (Clare) 37-23
- Div. 1 (Plate): Garryhill (Carlow) dft Cullohill (Laois) 42-8
- Div. 2: Galmoy (Kilkenny) dft Kilfane (Kilkenny) 42-13
- Div. 2 (Plate): Windgap (Kilkenny) dft Friary/Abbeyside/Ballinacourty (Waterford) 28-27
- Div. 3: Lahornal (Tipperary) dft Glenmore (Kilkenny) 42-18
- Div. 3 (Plate): Annaghdown (Galway) dft Cullohill (Laois) 37-29
1-Wall Boys Finals
- Div. 1: Clough Ballacolla (Laois) dft Oughterard (Galway) 36-11
- Div. 2: Kilmallock 3 (Limerick) dft Laochra Láimhe 3 (Limerick) 29-28
1-Wall Girls Finals
- Div. 1: Oughterard (Galway) dft Mayobridge (Down) 37-23