Martin Mulkerrins claimed his first major ranking win of the Irish 4-Wall season, defeating Diarmaid Nash in the Final of the Breacach Open in Tyrone 15-7, 15-11.
Mulkerrins, who in the aftermath of his win spoke of his increased fitness levels from last season, looked very strong all weekend and was in control of the much of the final, his attacking serve and shot strategy wowing the young fans in the packed gallery. Nash and Mulkerrins know each other very well, and typically contest close encounters. It was late in the second game when Nash scored 4 quick points in succession to tie the scores at 11-11 that everyone felt a tiebreaker was coming. But Mulkerrins stopped the tide and quickly saw out the very satisfactory win himself 15-11.
In the earlier rounds of the event, Monaghan's Gavin Coyle announced himself to the senior ranks with two very impressive wins over the Kilkenny Funchion brothers Patrick & Peter respectively. Coyle eventually falling the Nash in the SF. Former All-Ireland champ took down Golden Gloves finalist Colin Crehan in the QF, but couldn't see off Mulkerrins in the SF.
Another young Monaghan player also made his mark, last years Minor champion Eoghan McGinnity winning two matches before falling at the QF's to Mulkerrins.
In the Ladies Open, a now standard final saw Catriona Casey & Martina McMahon do battle, with Casey coming out on top in two straight games. It was not the usual classic one would expect from the pair, but high quality none the less, and impressed the gallery. McMahon had a scare in the SF, requiring a tiebreak to see off Aisling Reilly, with Casey a dominant winner over Armagh teenager Megan McCann.
Congratulations to Breacach for the running of their very successful first national ranking event. See below for full list of results.
Men's Open Prelim's
- Kevin Diggins dft Shane O'Neill 15-6, 15-4
- Ger Coonan dft Aaron Owen's 15-10, 15-4
- Daniel Relihan dft Barry Devlin 15-4, 15-4
- Eoghan McGinnity dft Paul Graham 15-4, 15-5
- Gavin Coyle dft Matthew McCartan 15-8, 15-0
- Paul Moran dft David Walsh 15-12, 15-14
- Michael Hedigan dft Pol Clarke 15-6, 15-7
Men's Open Last 16:
- Diarmaid Nash dft Daniel Relihan 15-5, 15-6
- Eoghan McGinnity dft Fergal Coughlin 10 -15, 15-5, 11-3
- Peter Funchion dft Sean Kerr 13-15, 15-2, 11-4
- Gavin Coyle dft Patrick Funchion 3-15, 15-10, 11-9
- Colin Crehan dft Kevin Diggins 15-4, 8-15, 11-1
- Charlie Shanks dft Ger Coonan 15-7, 13-15, 11-0
- Michael Hedigan dft Jordan O'Neill 15-10, 15-12
- Martin Mulkerrins dft Paul Moran 15-4, 15-9
Men's Open QF'S
QF 1: Diarmaid Nash dft Michael Hedigan 15-3, 15-2
QF 2: Gavin Coyle dft Peter Funchion 7-15, 15-14, 11-4
QF 3: Charlie Shanks dft Colin Crehan 15-11, 15-8
QF 4: Martin Mulkerrins dft Eoghan McGinnity 15-5, 15-3
Men's Open SF'S
- SF 1: Diarmaid Nash dft Gavin Coyle 15-9, 15-3
- SF 2: Martin Mulkerrins dft Charlie Shanks 15-7, 15-6
Men's Open Final
- Martin Mulkerrins dft Diarmaid Nash 15-7, 15-11
Ladies Open QF's
- Aisling Reilly dft Mollie Dagg 15-1, 15-4
- Megan McCann dft Fiona Tully 15-13, 15-14
- Martina McMahon dft Eilise McCrory 15-10, 15-3
Ladies Open SF's
- Catriona Casey dft Megan McCann 15-2, 15-2
- Martina McMahon dft Aisling Reilly 3-15, 15-4, 15-5
Ladies Open Final
- Catriona Casey dft Martina McMahon 15-11, 15-10