Following a meeting of GAA Handball Ard Comhairle to discuss the current Level 5 restrictions and their impact on the remaining GAA Handball Clár, the following decisions were made on the remaining competitions for 2020.
The following competitions are still outstanding for 2020:
- Juvenile Softball Semi Finals & Finals
- 40x20 All Ireland Adult Singles Finals
- 40x20 Juvenile Singles and Doubles Finals
The following factors were discussed:
- For National competitions to take place the country would need to be at level 2 restrictions which are unlikely to happen until just before Christmas unless there is a dramatic improvement in case numbers.
- Taking Christmas/New Year’s into account there is only a three-week window for hosting games in December meaning if the country was to move to level 2 on 1st December players would need to be ready to play immediately having had no training for the previous 6 weeks.
- It is highly unlikely that multiple games in one venue will be permitted so multiple venues will be required.
- In terms of the Softball Semi Finals and Finals the month of December may not be suitable to hold 60x30 games. Several clubs have expressed their concern in relation to this.
- While absolute clarity cannot be given, it is endeavoured to give as much clarity as possible to players/clubs as to when/if their finals will take place.
The following decision has been made by GAA Handball Ard Comhairle with respect to the remainder of 2020 as follows:
- There will be no more national competitions for the remainder of 2020.
- It is planned to complete all remaining outstanding 2020 competitions by mid-February 2021.
- This will be reviewed in January with regard to what current Covid19 restrictions are in place at the time.
- This applies to National competitions only. Local level handball may be permitted if restrictions allow for same.