The 2017 GAA Handball season came to a close today Saturday 2nd December with the40x20 Interclub All Ireland Championships. In the Open grade Kells (Meath) took the premier title for the fourth time and took a rare double as they also won the 60x30 Open title back in June. Meath defeated Breacach (Tyrone) in the final on a 70-49 scoreline.
The Open competition was played in Mullingar and in the first semi-final Breacach had a tight win over Mallow (Cork) 87-60 while Kells received a bye in the other semi-final. The final was a very tight match up to the last game. First up was Breacach Conor McElduff versus Garry McConnell, this was a very tight match up but the Breacach player just edging both games on a score-line 15-11 & 15-14. In the second match the Kells pairing of Tom & Dylan Sheridan overcame Pól Clarke & Shane O’Neill 15-10, 15-7, this meant Kells were leading 55-47 going into the last singles match. In the final match Brian Carroll played Johnny Woods, Woods put up a great fight but it was no match to the experience Meath man and Carroll powered on to take the game 15-2 and the match 70-49.
The Junior competition was played in Leixlip with Kilworth (Cork) defeating Saval (Down) in the first semi-final while Tinryland (Carlow) overcame St. Brigids Curraghboy (Roscommon) in the other semi-final. The final was very exciting with the minimum of margins between both teams but at the end Tinryland just edges it after one of the Kilworth players got injured.
Finally, in the Junior B competition which was played in Curraghboy, Roscommon. In the first semi-final Ballydesmond (Cork) defeated Breacach (Tyrone) 90-50 while in the second semi-final Ballymore Eustace (Kildare) overcame Newport (Mayo) 60-28. In the final the Leinster champions were just too strong for their Munster opponents with Ballymore Eustace defeating Ballydesmond 60-22.
Thanks to all the clubs, players, referees and sincere thanks to the host clubs for their hospitality today.
GAA Handball 40x20 All Ireland Interclub 2017 Results
Saturday 2nd December
OPEN in Mullingar, Westmeath
- Semi Final 1: Breacach (Tyrone) dft Mallow (Cork) 87-60
- Match 1: Conor McElduff dft Ryan Harkin 15-3, 15-8
- Match 2: Pól Clarke/Shane O’Neill dft David Walsh/Dale Cusack 15-11, 15-8
- Match 3: Tadgh Carroll dft Johnny Woods 15-13, 15-14
- Semi Final 2: Kells (Meath) Bye
- Final: Kells (Meath) dft Breacach (Tyrone) 70-49
- Match 1: Conor McElduff dft Gary McConnell 15-11, 15-14
- Match 2: Tom & Dylan Sheridan dft Pól Clarke/Shane O’Neill 15-10, 15-7
- Match 3: Brian Carroll dft Johnny Woods 15-2
JUNIOR in Leixlip, Kildare
- Semi Final 1: Kilworth (Cork) dft Saval (Down)
- Semi Final 2: Tinryland (Carlow) dft St. Brigids (Roscommon)
- Final: Tinryland (Carlow) dft Kilworth (Cork)
JUNIOR B in Curraghboy, Roscommon
- Semi Final 1: Ballydesmond (Cork) dft Breacach (Tyrone) 90-50
- Semi Final 2: Ballymore Eustace (Kildare) dft Newport (Mayo) 60-28
- Final: Ballymore Eustace (Kildare) dft Ballydesmond (Cork) 60-22