The Opening rounds in the 2019 All Ireland Hardball Championships took place over the last week with action in Junior Singles and Doubles, Intermediate Singles and Senior Singles.
The Last 16 fixtures in the Senior Singles saw three games take place with Cork, Kilkenny and Limerick successfully negotiating their path to the last 8.
Cork's Daniel Relihan had a straightforward win over Kilkenny's Keith Bourke in Clonmel winning on a 21-7, 21-5 scoreline with the Cork man progressing to meet the top seed in Limerick's CJ Fitzpatrick in the last 8. Kilkenny's Ciaran Neary also had a straightforward 21-7, 21-4 win over Galway's Pat Conway in Tuamgraney with the Kilkenny man through to face Kerry's Dominick Lynch in the last 8. Meanwhile Limerick youngster Evan Murphy won a three game thriller against the experienced Michael Dowling of Kildare on a 21-19, 19-21, 21-11 scoreline in Crinkle to book his place in the last 8 against Westmeath's Robbie McCarthy.
In the only game scheduled for the Minor Singles Meath's Daniel Farrelly received a walkover from Clare's Conor Downes while in the Intermediate Singles Kilkenny's Daniel Love (w/o v Pat Murphy, Limerick) and Mayo's Patrick Murphy 21-1, 21-16 victor over Kilkenny's William Love both progressed to the semi finals. Meanhwile there was wins for Cork, Dublin,Tipperary and Westmeath in the Junior Singles Last 16 with Tipperary, Roscommon, Kildare, Galway and Limerick progressing to the Last 8 of the Junior Doubles.
Next weekend see's the opening shots fired in the Senior Doubles.
GAA Handball All Ireland Hardball Championships
Senior Singles - Last 16
1. Cork (Daniel Relihan) dft Kilkenny (Keith Burke) 21-7, 21-5
2. Kilkenny (Ciaran Neary) dft Galway (Pat Conway) 21-7, 21-4
3. Limerick (Evan Murphy) dft Kildare (Michael Dowling) 21-19, 19-21, 21-11
Minor Singles - Quarter Finals
1. Meath (Daniel Farrelly) w/o Clare (Conor Downes) scr
Intermediate Singles - Quarter Finals
1. Kilkenny (Daniel Love) w/o Limerick (Pat Murphy) scr inj.
2. Mayo (Patrick Murphy) dft Kilkenny (William Love) 21-1, 21-16
Junior Doubles - Last 16
1. Tipperary (Paul Mullins/Kevin Dempsey) dft Cork (John Hurley/Shane Flynn) 21-11, 11-21, 21-11
2. Tipperary (Aidan O’Flaherty/Liam Bradshaw) dft Galway (Jamie Kelly/John Ward) 21-5, 21-13
3. Roscommon (Sean Jennings/Denis Creaton) dft Kilkenny (CJ Delaney/Donal O'Farrell) 18-21, 21-17, 21-14
4. Kildare (Myles & Ivan Carroll) dft Cork (Gearoid O’Connell/Philip O’Carroll) 21-12, 21-6
5. Galway (Alan Byrne/Conor Noone) W/O Tipperary (Aidan & Patrick Supple) scr.
6. Limerick (Jack O’Brien/Eamonn Davern) dft Kilkenny (Sean Foley/Eamonn Purcell)
Junior Singles - Last 16
1. Cork (John Hurley) dft Limerick (Mike O’Connor) 21-13, 21-17
2. Cork (Gearoid O’Connell) dft Kilkenny (Donal O’Farrell) 21-3, 18-21, 21-11
3. Dublin (Ciaran McCallan) dft Kildare (Gerry McGrath) 21-14, 21-7
4. Tipperary (Aidan O’Flaherty) dft Cork (Shane Flynn) 21-6, 21-18
5. Westmeath (Darren Carter) dft Mayo (Laurance Murphy) 21-0, 21-8