Last years semi-finalist Brendan Fleming survived an epic battle with former Champion Eoin Kennedy in Crinkle on Saturday, coming from a first game defeat to prevail 21-19 in the third game. That sets up a QF in a fortnights time with 3 time champion Robbie McCarthy.
There were only two further games that took place this weekend, with Martin Mulkerrins proving too strong for Tyrone's Johnny Woods, as the Moycullen man aims to reach his first final having lost out narrowly in the last two SF's.
The game game proved to be another cracking 21-19 tiebreaker finish, as Wexford's Gavin Buggy prevailed in a back and forth battle with Antrim's Owen McKenna.
Last 16 Results:
- Q1. Armagh (Charly Shanks) W/O Mayo (Vinnie Moran) scr.
- Q2. Cork (Tadgh Carroll) W/O Tyrone (Darragh Daly) scr.
- Q3. Clare (Colin Crehan) v Roscommon (Rikki O’Gara) Rearranged for Sat 11th
- Q4. Kerry (Dominic Lynch) v Clare (Diarmuid Nash) Rearranged for Sat 11th
- Q5. Galway (Martin Mulkerrins) dft Tyrone (Johnny Woods) 21-9, 21-0
- Q6. Wexford (Gavin Buggy) dft Antrim (Owen McKenna) 21-18, 18-21, 21-19
- Q7. Cork (Brendan Fleming) dft Dublin (Eoin Kennedy) 18-21, 21-10, 21-19
- Q8. Westmeath (Robbie McCarthy) W/O Dublin (Carl Browne) scr.