A host of venues played host to the various grades of the 60x30 Adult Singles finals at the weekend as the titles for 2018 were decided. In total 18 counties contested finals with 14 taking home gold medals. Wexford were the form county of the weekend taking home six titles while Tipperary were next in line with three followed by Offaly and Roscommon on two titles apiece while Carlow, Cork, Galway, Kildare, Kilkenny, Limerick, Meath, Sligo, Westmeath and Wicklow all shared one title each.
There was an eye catching win for Kildare’s Leah Doyle in the Ladies Minor Singles over Galway’s Niamh Heffernan while Roscommon Fiona Tully had a tight three game win against Aoife McCarthy of Westmeath in the Ladies Intermediate grade.
In the Intermediate Doubles Wexford’s Galen Riordan and Keith Armstrong had a tight two game victory over Cork Daniel Relihan and Michael Hedigan.
Chris Doyle from Wicklow took the Junior Singles title with victory over Tipperary’s Kevin Dempsey while Galway’s Diarmuid Mulkerrins secured the U21 title defeating Kilkenny Dylan Caulfield. In the Over 35's A final Offaly’s David Hope overcame Kerry’s Dominick Lynch while in the Masters A decider Wexford Gavin Buggy had a tight three game victory over Tipperary’s Paul Mullins.
GAA Handball would like to thank all the host clubs, referees and officials who enabled a large programme of finals to take place around the country. Full list of winners are listed below.
- MS Kilkenny (Jack Holden) dft Kerry (Daire Keane) 21-12, 21-8
- U21S Galway (Diarmuid Mulkerrins) dft Kilkenny (Dylan Caulfield) 21-6, 21-5
- JBS Cork (David Walsh) dft Kildare (Myles Carroll) 20-21, 21-18, 21-7
- JS Wicklow (Christopher Doyle) dft Tipperary (Kevin Dempsey) 5-21, 21-10, 21-8
- O35AS Offaly (David Hope) dft Kerry (Dominic Lynch) 21-6, 21-11
- O35BS Wexford (Paddy Haughton) dft Limerick (Keith Heelan) 21-10, 17-21, 21-8
- MAS Wexford (Gavin Buggy) dft Tipperary (Paul Mullins) 14-21, 21-16, 21-16
- MBS Roscommon (Sean Jennings) dft Kildare (Gavin Grace) 12-21, 21-6, 21-7
- SMAS Tipperary (David Moloney) dft Dublin (Conor Maxwell) 21-9, 21-9
- SMBS Offaly (Sean Ryan) dft Limerick (Mike O’Connor) 21-2, 21-19
- GMAS Meath (Tom Sheridan) dft Sligo (Martin Cooney) 21-5, 21-9
- GMBS Limerick (Denis McCarthy) dft Kildare (Jamie Travis) 21-10, 15-21, 21-1
- DMAS Tipperary (Billy Mullins) dft Kilkenny (Johnny Brennan) 21-5, 21-12
- DMBS Wexford (Brendan Murphy) dft Sligo (Peter Davey) 21-1, 21-4
- EMAS Westmeath (Robbie McCarthy) dft Sligo (Francis McCann) 21-3, 21-11
- EMBS Wexford (Stephen Murphy) dft Galway (Willie Corcoran) 21-19, 21-11
- RMS Carlow (John Rossiter) dft Mayo (Martin Cronin) 21-5, 21-5
- O70S Wexford (Ned Buggy) dft Mayo (Matt Coady) 21-13, 21-9
- LMS Kildare (Leah Doyle) dft Galway (Niamh Heffernan) 21-12, 21-1
- LJBS Sligo (Laura Finn) dft Kilkenny (Margaret Purcell) 21-6, 21-4
- LJS Tipperary (Sinead Meagher) dft Kilkenny (Dearbhail O’Keeffe) 21-10, 21-3
- LIS Roscommon (Fiona Tully) dft Westmeath (Aoife McCarthy) 7-21, 21-20, 21-9
- ID Wexford (Galen Riordan/Keith Armstrong) dft Cork (Daniel Relihan/Michael Hedigan) 21-19, 21-18