|2011 Open 40x20 Championships|
|Written by Chris Curran, National Manager|
|Wednesday, 01 December 2010 00:28|
following a meeting of Ard Comhairle on Saturday 27th November, the following revised structure and format for the 2011 Mens and Ladies Open 40x20 Championships (provincial and All Ireland) have been approved by GAA Irish Handball Central Council and will apply. This will see amendments as part of the new trial period of this championship format.
Is mise le meas,
Chris Curran / Críostóir Ó Corrain
National Manager / Bainisteoir Náisiúnta
PROVINCIAL Senior Open Championships:
Mens and Ladies, Singles and Doubles
- Provincial Open Senior Championships are a separate competition from the All Ireland Open Senior Championships.
- Entry forms are distributed from Provincial Councils with Mens and Ladies Senior Singles & Doubles taken on an Open basis - open to all eligible players within the province. Eligibility determined by the Provincial Council.
- Provincial Councils make up draws, using National Players Official Rankings for singles events, and seeded as provincial councils deem for doubles.
- In Singles and doubles championships there will be 2 Tournament Finals Weekends which will see the last 8 compete for the titles with quarter-finals and semi-finals scheduled for the Saturday and Finals on the Sunday.
- If there are more than 8 entered in any given championship, the provincial council will have qualifier fixtures prior to the weekend but will see the top 4 seeds (as per the national rankings) in singles given byes to the quarter-finals weekend itself and the remaining entrants in qualifier play-offs for the remaining 4 quarter-final spots on the Open Singles Championship weekend. This will highlight the importance of ranking points and thus the importance of playing in these events. The same scenario will apply in doubles with the Provincial Councils determining who the top 4 seeds are should the need arise.
- As the Provincial Open Championships are played on a tournament style basis, the matches will comprise of 2 x 21 ace games and a tie-break of 11 aces.
1 – There will be no ranking points for Provincial Open Championship Tournaments in 2011. Ranking points will only be available for All Ireland Open Championships, Irish Nationals and tournaments assigned as National Ranking Tournaments by Ard Comhairle.
2 – Players who wish to play in the All Ireland Open Senior Championship must enter the Provincial Open Senior Championship Tournament. If a player is injured or unable to compete in the Provincial Open Championship Tournament they must have approval from the provincial handball council to confirm that they can compete in the All Ireland Open Championship.
GAA Handball All Ireland Senior Open Championships:
Mens and Ladies, Singles and Doubles
- Eligibility as per National GAA handball Bye-Laws.
- Entry Forms are distributed by Croke Park nationally for the GAA Handball All Ireland Mens and Ladies Open Senior 40x20 Handball Championships. Players can enter directly to Croke Park but must provide authorisation by their County Committee and, in the event of not competing in their Provincial Open Championship Tournament, provide approval from their provincial council. These entry forms will be distributed by 4th January 2011 and the closing date for entries will be 21st January 2011.
- The Senior Singles rankings in ladies and mens are provided.
- Weekend 1 will comprise 2 qualifier rounds of action and will exclude the top 4-8 seeded players in the rankings list (depending on number of entries). Qualifiers will be based on pairing two matches together where 2 matches are played on Saturday earlier and the 2 winners then meet in the following round on Sunday.
- This round of fixtures will see the championship down to the last 16 stage. The last 16 series of matches will then take place on Saturday and the quarter-finals on the following day, Sunday. These will take place on the basis of being held at 2 venues if possible. This weekend will see the championship down to the last 4, ie. semi-finals.
- Full details of dates will be provided on the 2011 GAA Handball National Clár.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 08 December 2010 09:56|